April 13, 2011

Happy New Year!

So today is the official day of the new year for my fellow Khmer, Thai, and Laos folks. This is another one of those times when I miss being at home and being with my family. My Parents are big Temple goers and its tradition for them to attend the many New Year events and festivities that are going on around this time back in my home town. Growing up, I would have a couple back to back performances each day for a couple of weeks straight. (Cambodian Classical and Folk Dancing) I miss those good ol' days.

I dream of having a daughter so that she would take part in the Cambodian ballet like I did when I was young. The experience opened my eyes to my people and the richness of my culture. I learned to appreciate the art that my ancestors worked hard in creating and my people fought to keep alive. Yes, it took time and dedication to learn all of these dances, but it was worth every sweat and sometimes, tear. The knowledge and confidence gained is priceless.

I know that there are a lot of events going on in the Long Beach area, also known as Cambodia Town. For some reason though, it just doesn't feel the same to me, being so far away from home and my Family. I must learn to embrace and enjoy.

Happy New Years! May this year and many years to come bring you nothing less than the best in health and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment