February 28, 2007

Amused...

Its amazing how there are people who for some reason, think that they are in a higher position than anyone else and have the authority to belittle and ridicule another individual whom happen to be in the same group as them. No matter your position, self proclaimed I might add, please take a good look at yourself before you even consider degrading anyone else in any way. As indirect as you try to be, it doesn't take a Harvard student to realize that you are referring to them. I will not be oblivious to the fact that someone is insulting me... even indirectly.

hum·ble [huhm-buhl, uhm-]
1.not proud or arrogant; modest: to be humble although successful.
2.having a feeling of insignificance, inferiority, subservience, etc.: In the presence of so many world-famous writers I felt very humble.
3.low in rank, importance, status, quality, etc.; lowly: of humble origin; a humble home.
4.courteously respectful: In my humble opinion you are wrong.
5.low in height, level, etc.; small in size: a humble member of the galaxy.
–verb (used with object)
6.to lower in condition, importance, or dignity; abase.
7.to destroy the independence, power, or will of.
8.to make meek: to humble one's heart.

I came across this word more than I typically do today. It triggered me to look up the actual definition. I always knew what it meant, but I was skeptical of the true meaning after seeing it tossed around like a dead bird. You would think that constantly emphasizing that you are humble is contradicting the meaning of the word, right? If you are so humble, you wouldn't have to write it on your forehead to assure other people that you are just that. People will realize it on their own, take yourself off that pedestal and realize that you are still at the same level as anyone else.

Some may think that the reason for such an entry is jealousy or envy. Anyone who was humble would not have that thought that someone could possibly be jealous of them. The only type of people that I would envy are the people who are content with themselves and their lives, not people who feel that they have a point to prove.


My parents are the two most valuable people to me. They have power over me more than any millions of people combined do. They raised me well and disciplined me to respect others, but at the same time, respect yourself and value your own worth. I am hard headed and strong hearted. If I feel something, I feel it with great passion and will stand my grounds for what I believe in. I will not allow myself to be chewed, insulted, or slapped in the face by anyone... especially someone who means close to nothing to me.

As I might have stated in some of my previous posts, I have crossed paths with a lot of people. Many I have learned to love and gained much respect for... those are the ones that mean something to me. There are a handful who I have bumped heads with and never came in contact with again. I still survived.

Someone once told me that those people are like scabs... they have no reason for being there. If they are there, we just pick on it and pick on it some more in hopes that it would fall off. But if it fell off, it wouldn't hurt us a bit. In some cases, it would be even better.

People come and go in our lives on a daily basis. Some people hold greater value to us, and some are of no significance. I am lucky to have found many that I care for and vice versa. I would be hurt and feel great loss if those people were no longer a part of my life, as they would feel the same I'd like to believe. If there was a chance that I would lose that person, I would grasp them with all my strength and try to hold on for as long as I can. That is what it means to care about someone. You can't possibly claim to care for someone, but then not be a bit bothered by their departure. And in one case in particular, suggest that they leave and say things to steer them away.

Please don't ever pretend that I meant something to you when in all honesty, you really wished I wasn't there.




No comments:

Post a Comment